The European Development Finance Institutions Management Company (EDFIMC) is hiring a Senior Investment Officer for its Energy team.
EDFI Management Company
Incorporated in 2016 by the association of 15 European Development Finance Institutions (www.edfi.eu), EDFI Management Company (www.edfimc.eu) manages both ElectriFI and AgriFI facilities (www.electrifi.eu and www.agrifi.eu) out of its offices in Brussels. Other (guarantee) facilities are likely to be added to EDFIMC.
EDFIMC was set up as a collaboration between the EDFIs and the European Commission (EC). The EC is the prime funder of ElectriFI (over EUR 200mln) and AgriFI (almost EUR 40mln). EDFIMC offered financing is always complementary to what the DFIs and other funders can offer, using the flexibility of the EC funding, which can translate in early stage clients, high risk products, junior structures, development equity, etc.
ElectriFI started in 2016 to support electrification investments that will lead to new and improved connections, with a focus on addressing the needs of populations living principally in rural, underserved areas as well as areas affected by unreliable power supply. ElectriFI seeks to encourage the adoption of renewable energy, with a particular emphasis on decentralized energy solutions.
As an Investment Officer, you will originate and complete (quasi) equity and debt investments in private enterprises (both direct and indirect structures) active in the energy sector in developing countries.
Your Responsibilities & Tasks
- Originate investment opportunities fitting the mandate of ElectriFI, through active prospection and by establishing and managing a base of clients
- Evaluate investment opportunities based on their financial, social and environmental impact
- Structure and negotiate terms and conditions of such opportunities
- Lead and manage on-site due diligence missions
- Prepare and present investment recommendations to the Investment Committee and external stakeholders
- Organize the preparation of legal documents, in coordination with internal and external legal counsel
- Monitor a portfolio of investees with a focus on the financial and impact objectives of ElectriFI, proactively identifying risks and proposing the appropriate recommendations to ensure the respect of contract agreements and preserve an acceptable credit profile, restructuring investments when needed
- Continuously engage with clients and a network with potential co-investors, DFIs, financial institutions and other relevant parties in order to build relationships, exchange information, promote EDFIMC’s services and facilitate prospecting
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in an investment function at an (impact) investment fund, private equity fund, financial institution or corporate finance house
- Solid experience in the renewable energy sector
- Master’s degree in business administration, Economics or Finance
- Analytical mind, organized, precise and meticulous
- Ability to take initiatives, learn quickly and strive for results
- Excellent networking, negotiating and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong team player
- Fluency in English and French
- Strong interest for impact investing and developing markets – experience in developing countries would be an asset
- Willingness to travel: ± 10-20% of time
What we offer
- Permanent Belgian employment contract
- Compensation in line with bilateral development banks
- Located full time in Brussels
- Frequent travelling will contribute to the success in this role
How to apply
Send your CV and cover letter in English to Dominiek Deconinck through firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter shall clearly outline your motivation and availability.
We apologize that we can only respond to the candidates that we would like to invite for further discussions.