About EDFI Management Company (MC)
EDFI MC is a public limited company based in Brussels, Belgium, with the purpose to deliver development finance solutions that enable European Development Finance Institutions (DFIs) and other investors in the private sector to invest more and in higher risk projects than they would otherwise be able to do in emerging and developing economies. EDFI MC achieves its purpose through mandates to manage facilities which provide financing, technical assistance and other means of support directly and in close collaboration with its partners.
EDFI MC was established by EDFI – the Association of European DFIs – in 2016 as a multi-stakeholder platform for promoting their financial cooperation with the EU institutions. Today, the shareholders of EDFI MC are the EDFI Association together with nine EU-based European DFIs. The members of EDFI are 15 European government-backed DFIs, which promote private sector development in emerging and developing economies through impact-oriented investment and advisory services. EDFI member institutions have 3’000 staff members and investments of close to €50 billion in more than 100 countries around the world in sectors such as financial services, renewable energy, and agriculture. EDFI MC has built a multi-disciplinary organisation of approximately 40 staff members. The company is mission-driven, entrepreneurial and accountable to meet the high standards of its shareholders and funders.
In relation to a replacement due to a career interruption, we are looking for a Senior Legal Counsel for a period of 6 months from 25 october 2022 to support EDFI MC’s legal team.
The Senior Legal Counsel provides legal advice on all business matters of EDFI MC.
As a senior member of the Company’s legal team, the Senior Legal Counsel is expected to work on all legal aspects of the organization for the full scope of activities (from service agreements with suppliers and IT contracts) and the operations of the organization (from supporting the deal teams in structuring and contracting phases of investments/transactions) in order to ensure compliance by EDFI MC with Belgian and European applicable regulations.
This function requires strong project management skills and leadership qualities, both when taking care of the legal advisory role as when coordinating the legal needs. The role requires experience and interest in:
- Debt finance matters (including project finance),
- M&A and equity matters,
- Company and corporate law,
- Equity and debt transactions structuring, combining a knowledge of several legal areas including company and corporate law, contract law, etc.
Your Responsibilities & Tasks
- Provide strategic advisory on all legal matters including any deal structuring and contracting and if need be, liaise with the relevant external legal expert(s) in order to obtain proper legal support.
- Guide from a legal point of view on new and existing transactions from the structuring phase to their implementation.
- Assist in the implementation and regular upkeep of rules and regulations required for a company compliance function to prevent risks of non-compliance.
- Assist with the company’s corporate governance and housekeeping (Board meetings preparation, notification, order of business, reports, company status, changes within the Board, etc.).
- Master’s degree in law is mandatory.
- 5 to 7 years of professional experience in an international law firm, a large multinational company or an impact investment or development finance institution is mandatory.
- Bilingual French and English both orally and in writing is mandatory.
- Experience in debt finance and equity transactions is a must.
- Experience in compliance and/or governance matters or willingness to further develop relevant skills.
- Experience in energy and/or agricultural sector is an asset.
- Pro-active, pragmatic and solution oriented.
- Strong client relationship, communication, and project management skills.
- Flexible and able to anticipate and quick to adapt to a fast-growing, fast-evolving, and challenging environment.
- Works well under pressure.
- A good sense of humour.
What we offer
- An assignation of 6 months with a interim service contract
- A dynamic, diverse, and international environment in collaboration with passionate people
- An impactful work in direct contact with entrepreneurs and developing countries
How to apply
Send your CV and cover letter in English to Olivier Moyens (firstname.lastname@example.org). The cover letter shall clearly outline your motivation and availability. EDFI MC is an equal opportunities employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.