About EDFI Management Company
EDFI MC is a public limited company based in Brussels, Belgium, with the purpose to deliver development finance solutions that enable European Development Finance Institutions (DFIs) and other investors in the private sector to invest more and in higher risk projects than they would otherwise be able to do in emerging and developing economies. EDFI MC achieves its purpose through mandates to manage facilities which provide financing, technical assistance and other means of support directly and in close collaboration with its partners.
EDFI MC was established by EDFI – the Association of European DFIs – in 2016 as a multi-stakeholder platform for promoting their financial cooperation with the EU institutions. Today, the shareholders of EDFI MC are the EDFI Association together with nine EU-based European DFIs. The members of EDFI are 15 European government-backed DFIs, which promote private sector development in emerging and developing economies through impact-oriented investment and advisory services. EDFI member institutions have 3’000 staff members and investments of close to €50 billion in more than 100 countries around the world in sectors such as financial services, renewable energy, and agriculture. EDFI MC has built a multi-disciplinary organisation of approximately 40 staff members. The company is mission-driven, entrepreneurial and accountable to meet the high standards of its shareholders and funders.
Support EDFI MC sustainability and impact monitoring efforts as a member of the Sustainability Team. This includes :
- Working within the Sustainability Team to evaluate Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues and requirements for investment proposals and the existing portfolio.
- Measure and monitor the impact of EDFI MC facilities’ investee companies as per the EDFI MC impact framework and prepare the reporting and communications to help investee improve their impact on environmental, social, and economic issues.
- Promote the importance of ESG in creating value within the market
As a small and growing firm, EDFI MC expects the Sustainability Officer to be able to quickly learn about new risks that may arise from investments in new and innovative business models and technologies.
Your Responsibilities & Tasks
- Working with the Sustainability Team, conduct due diligence and monitoring of ESG issues for potential transactions. This could include drafting investment paper comments; assisting in negotiating ESG conditions; assessing the impact and E&S risks of investment proposals and placing them in the appropriate risk category; and ensure that E&S conditions are added to the contracts.
- Make recommendations to improve ESG practices of investment facilities’ portfolio companies in consultation with the Sustainability Team. Based on the analysis of impact and E&S risks of current projects, this could include working with managers of portfolio companies to implement initiatives to improve their ESG practices.
- Support investment officers/portfolio officers to ensure the implementation of environmental and social action plans.
- Support with the implementation of the EDFI MC Impact framework in line with international standards (OPIM).
- Exchange information and coordinate with other agencies, when necessary, in order to gain more information and best practices.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Energy Management, Social Sciences, or similar, with a preference for Environmental or Social Development Studies.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience within development finance, environmental consulting, banking, or the investment/consulting industry.
- Familiarity with the IFC Performance Standards is a plus.
- Proven experience in an E&S / sustainability / SRI-related field is a plus.
- Experience in developing countries.
- Self-starter, creative, pragmatic, result oriented.
- Strong client relationship, communication, and project management skills.
- Communications and writing skills in English is required.
- Proficiency in other languages (French, Spanish) is an asset.
- Multi-cultural sensitivity.
- Candidates must be in possession of a valid work permit for Belgium
- A good sense of humour.
What we offer
- A dynamic and international environment in collaboration with passionate people
- An impactful work in direct contact with entrepreneurs and developing countries
- A full-time employment contract with EDFI MC based in Brussels.
- Compensation in line with bilateral development finance institutions.
How to apply
Send your CV and cover letter in english to Olivier Moyens (email@example.com). The cover letter shall clearly outline your motivation and availability.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.