Meet our members
HQ office : The Hague, The Netherlands
ADDRESS : Anna van Saksenlaan 71,
2593 HW The Hague
WEBSITE : http://www.fmo.nl
Netherlands Development Finance Company
FMO – the Dutch Development Bank – was founded in 1970 and joined EDFI in 1992. FMO is a Public Limited Liability Company (N.V.) and operates with a banking license. The majority shareholder is the Dutch government (51%), while the remaining shares (49%) are held by private sector entities such as Dutch banks, employers’ associations and trade unions. FMO’s mission is to enable entrepreneurs to increase inclusive and sustainable prosperity.Member's website
Key numbers (end of 2022)
in new annual commitments to 85 projects
in total portfolio of 558 projects
in investment funds
equity and quasi equity
Other Fund Management
FMO manages several funds on behalf of the Dutch government:
- The DFCD Land Use Facility targets agroforestry, sustainable land use and climate resilient food production investments.
- Building Prospects covers the agribusiness value chain, infrastructure and climate resilience.
- Mobilising Finance for Forests combats deforestation and other environmentally unsustainable land use practices.
- The Dutch Fund for Climate and Development enables private sector investment in climate adaptation and mitigation projects.
approved in 112 projects
FMO’s investment activities are limited to developing countries, defined as countries that are classified by the World Bank in its recent World Development Report as low income economies, lower middle income economies or upper middle-income economies.
Its strategic focus is on three sectors with high development impact: financial institutions, energy and agribusiness, food & water.
Costa Rica, South Africa
Ministry in charge
Ministry of Finance acts as formal shareholder. Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Development Cooperation for development policies.